Clean water and habitat sustain all who live, work, and play in the Narragansett Bay Region.
The Narragansett Bay Estuary Program is a catalyst for scientific inquiry and collective action that restores and protects water quality, wildlife, and ways of life in the region.
The eight (8) intentions that underlie NBEP’s pursuit of this vision and mission are:
- Community-driven—Foster initiatives developed by local people for their place.
- Cross-boundary—Act across the State and watershed borders of the region.
- Collaboration—Maintain a partnership of varied interests and experiences to identify common problems and shared paths to solving them.
- Science—Synthesize and share quality scientific data in a manner that is accessible and useful to researchers and decision-makers.
- Ecosystem-based Management—Recognize the full array of interactions within the region, including humans, rather than considering single issues, species, or ecosystems in isolation.
- Equity and Inclusion—Pursue authentic engagement with all those potentially impacted by our work to ensure fair and lasting benefits for all.
- Accountability and Transparency—Set clear goals, seek commitments to meet them, and regularly communicate progress.
- Adaptive—Remain flexible and responsive to new information and conditions to maximize achievement of our mission in a changing environment, particularly in light of climate change.